ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Help with some radio education

From: Bob Scherer <Bob at scherer.name>

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:18:00 UTC

Message:

I could use some help in understanding some radio issues so I can implement
a practical installation.

One Design with a Microair Com and handheld GPS for Nav - single com antenna

An ICOM A-22 as backup com & nav.

Problem is locating and/or using the Icom if needed.

The Icom attached antenna works satisfactorily for nav when held up, but
mounting pretty much dictates inside cockpit where nav range is very
deteriorated.

So if placed inside, that necessitates using an external antenna

Can the existing comm. antenna be used with a splitter satisfactorily?

If so, can the leads be left in place, but not connected?

Will either radio be harmed by transmission from the other, if both
connected to the same antenna

Have seen splitters in Spruce cat, but most seem to be designed for nav
freqs - will this seriously affect the com operations?

Would a second com antenna be a better solution - will it work
satisfactorily for the nav functions in the Icom?

Thanks for the help educating me.

Bob Scherer

Attachement 1: winmail.dat