ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Primary at Pendleton?

From: Frank Gorham <frankgorham at comcast.net>

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:13:54 UTC

Message:

  DJ:
      Thanks for the summary debate - pretty much what the ex-prez spelled
out in Sport Aerobatics a few months back.
      My 2 cents worth - IMHO:

              First:  Nobody should be turned loose to fly our cute little
planes to the edges of the envelope without competency in ALL modes of
spins.  I know, because I was and had a VERY steep learning curve in blown
maneuvers which degenerated to the unexpected inverteds and flats.  You then
have x amount of altitude to learn the lessons never taught.  Very
effective, IF successful!   But, how to do and certify the training?  I have
discussed it with aviation insurance underwriters and they don't know
either.  So IAC should write a spin syllabus and REQUIRE it of all
competition pilots.  Legal liabilities be damned, its a matter of lives
saved we are speaking about here.

             Second: A first time competitor should NOT be required to spin
their plane at low altitude (anything less than 6,000 agl for new guys!),
especially not with the added adrenalin of judges, spectators, strange
field, etc at a contest.

             Third:  Ignoring the Second above, a one turn competition spin
is a piece-of-cake that in no way relates to the unknown "upset" spin likely
from a botched vertical maneuver, so why make an issue of it either way.
(see "both sides of my mouth")

             Fourth:  Having flown both Basic and Primary as a new guy I can
tell you that Primary is no walk-over.  It is far tougher than the earlier
Basic, with or without its spin.  Try it sometime - you will like it!

            Fifth:  A pilot, new to acro, has a full measure of challenge on
his table just "getting thru" Primary.  For some, it may be the highest
level they will reach, still wonderfully rewarding, and still far beyond the
expectations and capabilities of the vast majority pilots.

           Sixth:  Contests not scheduling Primary are, again IMHO, doing a
disservice to the sport by denying the new contestant a chance to compete,
learn, and grow in both confidence and abilities.  Going directly into
Sportsman is NOT an option for many new pilots and they will never get there
without the classrooom in Primary!

           Cheers,  Frank