ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: FAA waivered box policies?

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 00:16:35 UTC

Message:

The waiver is issued to a person(s) or entity.  It does not allow anyone else
to use it without the permission of the holder of the waiver.  The FAA sets
the rules on how the box is used (times, altitudes, visibility, consent of
others, required notice, etc.) and the holder of the waiver sets the rules on
who can use it.  The FAA might add a special provision requiring the holder of
the waiver to determine that all who use the box are competent do do so (part
of the well-known back-to-waiver holder monkey transfer).  You can require
that they join your local IAC chapter, for example.  Usually, there will be
one person who has ultimate responsibility, and it is in their interests to
police the box well and make sure it is used as intended, and that procedures
specified in the waiver are followed to the letter.

Frank Gorham <frankgorham at comcast.net> wrote:
>	MIME Type: multipart/alternative
Guys/Gals:   Seriously need early your input on this item.

      FAA FSDO rep strongly suggests that we screen pilots and establish
approvals/denials for the use of our newly approved  practice box at MAI
(Marianna Municipal Airport, FL).

      1.  Can that actually be done (We thought that, once approved, a box is
"open to the world" regardless of the responsible name on the waiver?)

      2.  If it can be done, legally, then what criteria would you suggest?

              Cheers,  Frank