ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Rule clarification

From: Brian Howard <BK at newattaero.com>

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 06:35:37 UTC

Message:

  Jim,

You wrote:

>I noticed on the Judging line
>that neither of them had the double line indicating the
>optional break that is required in 4.21.5 (c).
>In 6.14.1 (i) of the checklist for certifying a Free program
>it also states that this double line is required.
>
>After the flight, I asked both pilots about it, and they both said
>that they were told that the "bonus point" system said that
>if the Free is below a certain number of manuevers, the
>optional break line is not required. They also stated that
>they had seen several other Unlimited Frees, and none of
>them had the double line.
>
>I could not find any other reference for the optional break
>beyond the two listed above. Is their something that I could
>not find regarding a change under the bonus system?

I leave my computer for the first time in weeks and you choose that same
day to ask a question! :-) Thank you, Greg Dungan, for stepping in with the
right answer. However, just to reiterate for ALL pilots:

Rules 4.21.5(c) and 6.14.1(i) requires that the optional weather break be
marked on all Free program Forms B and C. No exceptions! Even the Aresti
software program will blow the whistle on you if you leave it out. The
judge or judges who signed off those particular Free programs without the
weather break should reread Chapter 6 before they put another competitor at
risk for having a pilot or judge protest the legality of the Free (6.12.6).
This event also tells me those judges did not use the checklist in 6.14 to
check the Free. Regardless of your experience level, please judges, USE the
6.14 checklist when you check a Free or you're bound to forget something,
as in this case.

I have no idea where these guys got the idea that the bonus point system
has anything to do with the optional weather break. No connection whatsoever.

My congratulations to you, Jim, for being a Chief Judge who followed rule
1.5(p) and actually checked the Free programs. Too many Chief Judge ignore
that responsibility.

Happy to hear you got the contest off even with the weather issues.

Best regards,

Brian Howard
Chairman, IAC Rules Committee