ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Designing an intermediate free

From: Dave Swartz <djswartz at bellsouth.net>

Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 23:02:44 UTC

Message:

  On Sunday, September 01, 2002 6:44 PM, Bokagan at aol.com [SMTP:Bokagan at aol.com]
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to fly intermediate for the first time at Sebring this fall and
>
> am wondering about what things to think about when designing a free?  Is it
> better to have fewer maneuvers with a higher K, or more with a lower K? Are
> there certain maneuvers that are good to start with or certain ones to avoid?
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bo Kagan
> Pitts S2B

Bo,

Most try to have the maximum number of figures to reduce the complexity of the
average figure and reduce the impact of a zero'd figure.  Generally it is a
good idea to try to spread the K as evenly as possible across all figures for
the same reason.  If the judges are doing their job, a complex figure has more
potential to be scored lower simply because there are more downgradable
elements to watch for in the figure.  Be sure to include all of the required
figure elements in your Free but, if you can, it is best to stay away from
figures you can not reliably score well on.  Full loops with or without rolls
are usually not a good idea since they often do not score as well as 1/2 loops
(it is too easy to see a loss of symmetry).  There have been a few articles
published in Sport Aerobatics on the topic.  Basically, you want to meet all of
the requirements for the Free while making the sequence as easy for you to fly
in your aircraft as possible.  Going for "wow factor" usually looses points
unless you make no mistakes.

Dave Swartz
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
http://www.FlightFantastic.US