ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Designing an intermediate free

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera at nortelnetworks.com>

Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 02:57:58 UTC

Message:

Boy, that's a complicated question. Depends on so many factors. Mike
Goulian's book, Advanced Aerobatics, has a section on designing a free.

I think if you wanted to really stack the deck in your favor, you would just
take bits and pieces of the known and make your free from them. That way,
practicing your known is also helping with pieces of your free. Also, when
flying your free, you are less likely to screw up when two maneuvers are
similar but not quite the same. For example if the known has a hammerhead
with  up and 2/8 down, and the free has a  up,  down hammerhead ... you
can imagine how confusing it can get.

Mind you if you simply try to make the free easy on yourself you will get
royally screwed on the unknown because you will surely encounter things you
have not practiced much. For that reason and personal satisfaction, I try to
make the free as hard as I can handle.

In my limited experience in Intermediate I think the Unknown flights are
where the differences in skill really show and next season I plan regularly
to randomly choose an old unknown to practice.

Cheers,

Peter