ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Designing an intermediate free

From: Stephen Seidel <thinairltd at earthlink.net>

Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 14:05:16 UTC

Message:

  Bo.

A couple of years ago this question was asked and Allison from Chapter
12 composed some great tips. She consented to let us reprint it in our
newsletter so I guess it's ok to share again.

Freestyle Tips by Allyson Parker-Lauck of Chapter 12
  Hey everybody. I just put out the Chapter 12 Newsletter last week with
the article on tips for Freestyle Programs. I got some EXCELLENT
information from Warren Anderson, Alan Cassidy, Bob Stark, and Clyde
Cable (who's not on the list -- doesn't have email -- called him on the
phone). There were a couple of others who offered information too, but
it wasn't in electronic form. Since Clyde, Warren, Alan, and Bob's info
was so complete, I called it quits with those three, plus a couple of
tips of my own.
I didn't post the results to the list yet since I wanted the Chapter 12
Newsletter recipients to see them first. The Newsletter went out a week
ago though, so now I'd like to share some of the highlights with the IAC
list. I've constructed many Freestyles in the 10 or so years I've been
competing, and I thought I knew all the tricks. But I learned a lot from
the info Clyde, Warren, Alan, and Bob sent me. Alan Cassidy in
particular had some really interesting, unique approaches and some real
life examples of how they work. When it stops snowing here I think I'll
have to go try some of his techniques! (We got about 6 inches of snow
last night, and it's still coming down hard right now even as I write
this note and look out the window. Quite an April Fools joke that mother
nature is playing on us here in the high country!!!).

On to the tips. If I post them all in the full detail form, it will be
the longest email of all time, so I'll paraphrase. Also note that some
of the tips are conflicting. One idea works for one person, but not for
another. General tips are: Make the choice whether you want to impress
yourself, your friends, or the judges. The same sequence won't
necessarily do all three. Secondly, to start out with, borrow a sequence
from another competitor, then change the figures you don't fly well.
Once you've got the hang of flying a freestyle, you should then
definitely construct your own.

1. Keep it simple: 1/2 loops, 90 degree rollers, 1/2 square loops.

2. Keep "hangers" at upwind side of box (hammers, spins, etc)

3. Cross wind correctors always upwind.

4. Center box figures always upwind.

5. Half Cubans, Sharkstooths, turns, half loops downwind.

6. Use a template to draw pretty form B's and C's. Don't be sloppy.

7. Start sequence with a BANG! Center box figure that scores well and
looks good.

8. Put snaps (often an unreliable outcome) at end of sequence in back
corner of box.

9. Keep the K for each figure not too far from the average for the
sequence (Subtract the value of the roller and spin from the total
sequence K, then divide the remaining K by the remaining number of
figures. Try to keep each figure's value close to that K factor.)

10. Make sure the airplane shows the figure well. For example, a
Decathlon will do a 1/2 roll up, but it won't always look really good.
You may prove something, but it is unlikely to score as well as a 1/4
roll up or a straight vertical line.

11. Fulfill roll requirements on the vertical downline or 45 degree
downline. Snap rolls are especially much easier on the 45 down than on
the horizontal or on uplines.

12. 2 point rolls show better than 4 or 8 points. If you need to add K
when you finish sequence construction to meet the minimum requirements,
start out by adding 2 point rolls first.

13. Avoid 45 lines as much as possible, especially in a Pitts. The round
fuselage makes it difficult to judge.

14. Keep figures you don't score well on to a minimum K. Do a 90 degree
roller whenever possible rather than a 180, 270, or 360.

15. Put in a wind corrector every 5 figures.

16. Make sure you ALWAYS meet the maximum K requirements for a sequence.

17. Use all the figures you're allowed to minimize the cost of a blown
figure.

18. If you're pushing to the vertical, try to keep the line without
rolls.

19. If you only need 2 snap rolls, then only use 2 snaps. Snap rolls are
harder to stop, are less reliable, and get you no extra points.

20. Don't start with a hammerhead. The day may come when the ceiling is
low and the optional break will be needed. The first figure is usually
the highest altitude figure, and it's easiest to push/pull around a
humpty than punch a cloud waiting to slow down enough to kick on the
hammerhead.

21. Choose a figure 1 that has the least complex judging criteria so
that the judges have to score you well at the start. They'll get a good
first impression, and may subconsciously give you better scores later in
the sequence.

22. Enter spins after a figure ending with a 45 line or vertical line.
You won't have to slow down for spin entry causing you to lose altitude
or fly out of the box waiting to slow down.

23. Always spin 1 1/2 turns. One turn stops flat and requires a big
push. 1 1/4 spins stop with a wing low that you have to correct. 1 1/2
spins stop relatively vertical and require less corrective input from
the pilot.

24. Exploit low speed, accellerating flight, and avoid high speed
downward excursions. Any time you are at low speed at full power, you
are gaining energy. Anytime you are flying faster than the speed you can
sustain level at full power, then you are losing energy fast. Drag is
greater than thrust and you must consequently slow down even if flying
level.

25. Never place a full loop in a freestyle.

26. Do Humpties into the wind.

27. Place more difficult figures early in the sequence so you can get
them done while you are fresh and strong and can ease through the rest
of the sequence.

28. Never place a big altitude loser late in the sequence. Don't get
caught low at the end.

29. Either use a template or a computer to draw your sequences. Give the
judges a good impression right from the start.

30. Speaking of good impressions. WING WAG LIKE YOU MEAN IT! Three fast
dips of the wing facing the judges looks good, and makes the judges
think they're going to see a great flight.

31. Begin Immellmanns downwind, and Split S's upwind. Reason? The roll
should be INTO the wind to help avoid the costly 2 point deduction of
drawing a line between the loop and the roll.

Hope this helps. I was able to put more detail into the Newsletter, so
if you have any questions on this "Reader's Digest" version let me know
and I'll send you the more detailed examples. Thanks again to Warren
Anderson, Alan Cassidy, Bob Stark, and Clyde Cable for sharing their
wisdom!!!!

Take care and Fly Safe!

Allyson Parker-Lauck

Loveland, CO