ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Designing an intermediate free

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 01:42:03 UTC

Message:

  Andrew,

We created the Blind Man's Bluff several years ago, and successfully
flew 3 or 4 of them.  Then the weather god's got pissed and rained out a
few in a row.  It is, at present, a dormant concept awaiting another
round of frivolous enthusiasm to rekindle it.

We flew 3 unknowns, all under an official IAC sanction, but requiring
various supplemental rules and waivers.  Safety was never compromised.
The contest was largely a reaction to the fact that we usually did not
get to fly unknowns in Texas due to weather problems at contests, back
when it was mandated that the freestyle be flown second.  Now that the
CD can fly either the free of the unknown second, we are getting to face
more unknowns.  Still, the format was good fun and good training.

I have read several of the comments on designing good frees.  Like much
else in our sport, there are differences of opinions on many points, and
it may just be that the best free is the one you design yourself based
upon many years of learning your own strengths and weaknesses in your
own airplane.  Following other's advice is probably a good beginning,
but be alert to your scores telling you to do things differently.

Don