ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: IAC Nationals

From: Frank Gorham <frankgorham at comcast.net>

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:53:40 UTC

Message:

  Melanie/Scott:
       Exactly right.  I went thru advanced instrument (T-33) and
interceptor schools F-102A schools there in 1961-62. The last class of F-86D
students (Yugoslavians) were still there. SAC's B-58 pilots also went thru a
brief F-102 program before going into that plane.  I think there was also a
GCI operators (Ground Controlled Intercept officers - radar operators)
school at the base.
       Little extra background:  Long time political power and Speaker of
the House, Sam Rayburn's home was in Bonham, just 25 miles East of
Sherman/Denison.  He had a good deal to do with the continuing fortunes of
Perrin.  He died while I was there and the expectation of eventual base
closure was apparent.  I don't know if George Bush #2 did his F-102 training
at Perrin before it closed or not.  I'll ask an old buddy who trained with
him.  Regardless, that beautiful expanse of concrete has survived to the
benefit of all of us.  In fact, I was amazed at the excellent condition of
the pavement this June.

          Cheers,  Frank