ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Airspeed indicators read way low?

From: "Seppanen, Kari J" <kari.j.seppanen at boeing.com>

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 02:26:46 UTC

Message:

The first thing I would check for is a leak in the pitot pressure line. Pump
up the pitot and see if it holds pressure (don't forget to cover the drain
hole in the pitot if it has one).

The second would be partial blockage in the pitot probe ahead of the drain
hole. You could do a quick check by covering the drain hole and repeating
the airspeed check with the other guys (obviously no precip!). Or just run a
pipe cleaner through it from the back side.

If you cover the drain hole, use some tape that is easy to spot. I just
found some gray duct tape on my pitot from the avionics shop!

Kari J. Seppanen

Flight Test Engineering Analysis

Aerodynamic Performance Group

kari.j.seppanen at boeing.com