ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: S2B bugs (cont'd)

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:23:47 UTC

Message:

  Aviation Products makes the best tailwheel for a B hands down.  As for the
long float, switch to mph and you won't float so much.  Just be sure you are
carrying at least 85 over the fence with 2 fat guys aboard, or you won't flair
much either.  Also, beware of tongue-in-cheek responses.

Ian Scott <ian.scott at ebrevet.nu> wrote:
Just a note to say thanks to everyone who responded regarding the
aileron slave strut vibration. I flew the aircraft today after we worked
on it yesterday and the fix worked as advertised. The strut is now rock
solid.

Luckily the bearing was fine, however we replaced the bolt, washers, and
nut as these looked a bit worn and there is now no play or any binding.

Regarding the W&B issue I think I will have the aircraft re-weighed as
I'm sure the W&B is wrong. I suspect they didn't level the aircraft when
weighing it. If anyone can send me the arm lengths for their S2B so I
can compare with mine to see if there is a major difference (empty
aircraft, fuel and pilot stations, and baggage) I would appreciate it.

A couple of other things. I am going to replace the tailwheel as the
incumbent is just  plain worn out. Any suggestions on the best type to
get and the best place to get it would also be appreciated.

And finally, I was doing a few circuits today to try and perfect my
landings. They were smooth enough but the aircraft seemed to float a
long way. I was using an 85kt approach speed with around 80kts or so
over the fence and idle power on the round out (my idle is set at 600
rpm). I was just wondering what landing speeds other people use.

Thanks,

Ian Scott

P.S. This morning was the first time I flew any aeros since I sold the
Extra in May and I am just now losing the silly grin. I think I'm going
to have a lot of fun in this Pitts.