ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: S1S aux fuel tank capacity?

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera at nortelnetworks.com>

Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 02:59:19 UTC

Message:

The stock smoke tank in the upper wing is 5 gallons. I'm looking at the
original 337 for my S-1T and it has all the details.

As for the weight of the smoke oil. You can get that from its specific
gravity. The canopus-13 data sheet from Texaco shows it's specific gravity
as .85, gasoline is shown on another materials site as having a specific
gravity of about .75. Therefore one can expect smoke oil to be .85/.75  as
heavy as gasoline per unit volume.  So, do you normal gasoline weight
calculations and then multiply by 1.13 and you should be in the ballpark.

After all this work you will find out you were over gross before you even
put a drop of water/gas/smoke oil or anything else in that top tank ;)

Peter