ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Pitts S-1S bungee installation

From: Klusmanp at aol.com

Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 03:21:39 UTC

Message:

  A few questions about Pitts S-1S bungee installation and removal:

1) How do I secure the gear during the bungee swap? Both gear legs have bent
sheet metal tabs welded onto the diagonal gear struts just inboard of where
the bungees attach. These tabs look like they might be a jack point designed
to secure the gear during bungee swap. Does this sound familiar to anyone? My
other idea is to use hoseclamps to secure the gear against the horizontal
tube that runs along the bottom of the firewall. Has anyone done this?

2) How to remove the old bungees? Just cut them off with a sharp knife?

3) The new bungees are hard as a rock. Do I need to condition them or put any
pre-stretch on them?

4) I've got the lower cowl and firewall coverplate off so I can see the front
side of the bungees. I've still got the forward belly pan in place and I
think I can get the bungee swap done without removing this belly pan. Is
there a possibilty I might damage the belly pan if I don't remove it? It
wouldn't be that much of a pain to take the belly pan off except for a fuel
drain fitting that would need to be removed so I would have to drain all the
fuel, etc.

Thanks!
Paul Klusman
Pitts S-1S