ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Pitts S-1S bungee installation

From: "Herman Dierks" <hdierks at ev1.net>

Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 05:07:26 UTC

Message:

  Remove the belley pan.

I like to support the plane with a hoist of some sort (usually attached to
I-beam in hangar roof) and to the loop in the top of the engine case (made
for hanging the engine. Other way is to put a chain or nylon strap around
rear motor mount area and attach hoist there.

Yes, just cut the old bungies off.  But you need to have plane supported
(off the gear) first.

I dip my bungies in hot wax, but soap or powder probably work well also.
Yes, the new bungies look very stiff, and they are.  Thats why you need a
good tool.
Loop bungie over aft side and attach tool to forward (firewall) side and
pull them up.
As Robert Armstrong says, this is the point where you want to wear a
football helmut or motor cycle helmut!! Those bungies store a lot of
energy.
It may take a slight "tap" to push it off the tool an onto the attach
point.
Put the matached pair on the same side.

Make sure there is a safety cable on your gear. Its there in case the
bungies break during a landing.

Herman