ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: A Club in Trouble - good news

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 00:18:45 UTC

Message:

  All,

I just returned from a nice flight up to Grayson to check on things.  It
took an hour in the Stampe, with a 30 knot headwind all the way.  The
galley slaves up front were rowing as hard as they could.

Unlimited was flying.  Fabulous weather - temp in the 80's, strong north
wind, and visibility such that you could see Louisiana.  Not that you'd
want to, of course.  Good weather likely for the rest of the week.
They'll be done by Wednesday, and start getting into trouble in the
local bars, I'll bet.

I heard comments to the effect that approx. 100 people have registered.
I didn't get the official talley, and a few more might straggle in.
Ignoring the total IAC membership issue for a moment, it is encouraging
that the nationals have drawn something near a record number, given how
far so many have to fly in order to enter.  I heard many names mentioned
that I've never heard before.  That's a good thing.

I don't know the true numbers in our club.  I suspect some of the ones
we've heard tossed around have been "spun" prior to their publication.
I heard once that since the EAA has taken over our membership renewal
process that the actual number count has been impacted by their computer
losing track of who is a current member and who isn't.  I can't swear
that's true, but wouldn't it be a head scratcher if a significant
portion of our "member loss" is due to inexact record keeping.

Also, what is the hard-fact trend in contest entries over the last 10
years?  Up or down?  We heard all those ghastly numbers recently about
non-competiting members vs competing members, but remember that they
were being tossed out by people whose agenda it was to change the focus
of the club to other than competition.

If the nats have just registered a record number, by people ready and
able to spend the money and time to compete, perhaps we are not
shrinking at all.

Don