ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] S-2B engine temps?

From: DSowder at aol.com

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 05:24:54 UTC

Message:

  Is anyone else flying an S-2B with a 6-cylinder engine analyzer? I put a JPI
EDM-700 analyzer on my B at the same time the engine was rebuilt, and have
put 420 hours on it since. The No. 1 cylinder always has the coldest EGT and
CHT, no matter what the power setting or how I lean. EGT is about 60 to 90
deg. colder than #4 (usually the hottest), and CHT is about 30 or 40 deg.
colder. This despite swapping injector nozzles, EGT and CHT sensors. The No.
1 cylinder seems to peak at about the same mixture setting as the other
cylinders, it's just always colder.

For some reason this is bothering me more these days. It would seem that the
only answer is that #1 is getting less air for some reason, but it seems that
would make it run richer and thus peak much later (i.e. with the mixture
control pulled further out). It's run this way since "sort of new"; I never
flew the airplane before this engine rebuild. The engine is strong and
smooth, and compression is excellent. Just curious to know if anyone else
sees a similar temperature spread.

Thanks,
Doug Sowder