ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] [Mod] Aerobatics history question

From: "AcroMod" <acromod at attbi.com>

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:52:48 UTC

Message:

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Clute [mailto:office at billcluteairshows.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 12:38
To: AcroMod at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Mod] Aerobatics history question

Long ago I read that Jimmy Doolittle was the first man to perform an outside
loop.  I don't recall the year or type of airplane.

Now I've come across some info. that says that "Bevo Howard, in 1938, became
the first flyer to outside loop a light plane, performing the feat in a  37
1/2 HP Piper Cub.

Is there a conflict here or did Doolittle do it in something that isn't
considered a light plane?

Bill Clute
http://billcluteairshows.com