ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: [Mod] Aerobatics history question

From: Jerry <usav8or at yahoo.com>

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 02:42:10 UTC

Message:

Bill
I also remembered reading that Doolittle did an outside loop in 1927. I just checked on the National Air and Space site and it confirmed it. It said that he did it in 1927 flying a Curtiss P-1B Hawk biplane which had a 435 hp engine. It also mentions Bevo as the first one to do it in a light plane as you had mentioned.
I'd say that Doolittle did it in something other than a light plane with that 435 hp engine, BUT was the first to do an outside loop.
Jerry