ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Fw: Vertical Reversements or Cartwheels

From: "rklarich" <rklarich at email.msn.com>

Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 04:21:49 UTC

Message:

  Hey Coach, two's in...

Lazy 8- Where do I begin...if you have to ask, I can't explain.... not to be
a smart _ss, the Lazy 8 is easier flown than described- Enter fast- this is
akin to a full Cuban eight, it is a maneuver unto itself, not meant to gain
or lose energy or altitude. Closes fast in the same direction as entry at
the same point in space as entry if there is no wind.  When I fly them I use
bank and relative change in bank in excess of 90 degrees and heading changes
in excess of 180 degrees per half in order to cross the same point in space
where the initial pull began- with smoke it looks just like the "Infinity"
(tm) symbol on those nice thumpin' speakers.  None of the FAA stuff where
you displace the two turns laterally and make no attempt to hit the same
point in space twice.  Pitch limit is vertical, but like the chandelle,
pitch and bank angle are continuously changing.  No hammerhead/stallturn at
the apexes. You may reach the limits of control travel and still have a
successful turn- easier in gliders than power, especially if that was rudder
you just ran out of.   Presented on either the x or y axis relative to the
judge- play the winds to have both turn radius equal, apex at the same
altitude if possible.  Trick is to exit the second 180 heading on the axis
of entry to not affect the next maneuver.  If using smoke in windy
conditions, remember that the smoke is drifting too...

Flown the same in gliders, save for the altitude loss at completion.

How about the cloverleaf?  When do you begin each roll in the 90 degree
course change?  Is it simply a barrel roll with 90 degrees of heading
change?  Is it simply a loop for jet jocks who can't use rudder?  What if
you snap on top of a loop and end up 90 degrees off heading?

Cheers,
Rich Klarich
IAC 21376