Acro Image

Aerobatics Server

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Flop tube

[International Aerobatic Club] [Communications] [Aerobatics Images]

Disclaimer: These aerobatics pages are developed by individual IAC members and do not represent official IAC policy or opinion.

[Usage Statistics]

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Flop tube

Thread: [Acro] Re: Flop tube

Follow-Up To: ACRO Email list (for List Members only)

Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 23:04:59 UTC

I just replaced the clear tube type in my Eagle. If I pulled with a fair amount of effort, I could pull the tube and the crimped piece out of the threaded piece.  As I said, it worked, but I feel better that a new one is going in. The pickup in the Eagle is faily low in the tank, so you have to be faily low on fuel before even a fully separated flop tube is going to fail you while upright.

Bruce Green
Eagle N110GM
In a message dated 10/10/2002 7:25:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, sisson at mcleodusa.net writes:

> AMSnaproll at aol.com wrote: 
> My trusty Eagle gave me a raised eyebrow the other day. Rolled inverted and it quit running. Rolled upright and it ran. Got to be entertaining after awhile, but I figured I oughta fix it. I took out the flop tube and pressure tested it, and there were no splits or leaks. So, gurus, is it possible that it was sucking shut when it was bent a certain way? And if that is true, what happens if it sucks shut when upright? Does anybody have an emergency fuel feed that bypasses the flop tube, and if so, how did you rig it? 
> Thanks a heap! 
> Ashley Messenger 
> Ch. 34
> 
> Best thing to do is change it, A friend near here had one come off and it was in bad shape near where it was clamped on. His was about twenty years old and was made from a clear material. We put one in from Aircraft Spruce. About $40 but we 
> did have to remove the tank. This took a few hours... 
> Phil 
>   

© Dr. Günther Eichhorn
Retired
Email Guenther Eichhorn