ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Flying in AWAC

From: ACCassidy at aol.com

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:09:37 UTC

Message:

  Don, Bubba, Jeffrey etc etc...

I have been following your discussions on AWAC with interest. Mike Heuer had
told me that this IAC Rule change proposal was on the cards and I knew it
would promote a healthy discussion. As an outsider, I think I might be able
to put a new pewrspective into the pot for you.

One thing is certain: there is no universal agreement about the purpose of
AWAC. Nor will there ever be so. This does not matter, because we do not fly
aerobatics as a team but as individuals. The USA of all countries, should
understand the importance of the individual in the shape of things.

So one pilot might want to compete at AWAC because he sees it as a stepping
stone to flying WAC (my own purpose initially), another because he wants to
fly Advanced and no more (nowadays almost certainly for budgetary reasons). A
third might want to compete at AWAC because his frail old body no longer
wants to fly Unlimited even though his young heart still relishes the joy of
competing (perhaps my purpose in a few years time!!). All these reasons are
valid, and you just might get a Team medal based on the efforts of these
three individuals each with their own different motivations.

Most of the pilots who do go to AWAC, regardless of their motivation, are
realistic about their prospects of winning. Only a very few go with the
genuine belief that they can win. Most go for the satisfaction or
representing their country and hope simply to fly as best they can. Maybe
they hope to be in the top 20, maybe just to take part. Nearly all understand
that the only butt you can kick in an aerobatic flight is your own!!

If a pilot really wants to fly in the AWAC, and do the best that he can, then
he will make a plan for this at least a couple of years before the event. He
will make sure he has a legal machine available to train in and to compete
domestically in the run-up period, because he will know deep in his heart
that the best way to do well is with a familiar machine. If he has talent and
trains well he might just achieve his goal. But he will do it as an
individual, not as a team player.

Whatever rules the organization makes, the dedicated AWAC competitor who
really is good enough will make the Team because of his dedication and
talent, not because of his available horsepower.

So, even though you think the final decision about this team selection
argument is very important, really it isn't. People will adapt to whatever
rules apply. And the dedicated will get through in the end and they will all
deserve their places, regardless of what they fly in at the Nationals.

Slight change of tack....

There is a great imbalance between the USA and other nations (and I'm still
talking aerobatics) because there are so many of you. You therefore have a
much harder time getting into your National Team than pilots from other
countries. This gives you much greater strength in depth at contests.
Everyone competing in AWAC or WAC, knows that all the US pilots are
competitive, whereas just one or two of those from Italy or UK are so
talented.

You can se this as an advantage (teamwise) or a disadvantage (individually).
So perhaps you need to think about breaking up your Federation (like the
Russians did a few years back) so you could then field Teams from California,
Texas, New England, CornCountry, Bubbaland or wherever. These would all be a
good match for the Ukrainian or Lithuanian Teams, maybve even the Russians
themselves at AWAC level.

Think how many more Presidents you could have...joke!!

Keep talking

Alan Cassidy
IAC# 18506
Maidenhead, England