ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Flying in AWAC

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:01:38 UTC

Message:

  Alan,

Being only vaguely serious...

When Texas was "annexed" by the US, we were granted many rights not
allowed to other states.  Our state flag is to be flown at the same
height as the US flag, we retained ownership of the offshore mineral
rights (who knew in 1845 that there was oil out there?), we have the
right to maintain our own army, navy, and by inference, airforce.
Perhaps most interestingly, we have the unilateral right to split into 5
states, which would give the combined states 10 total senators instead
of the current 2.  Now there's a scary thought.

There have been arguments posed suggesting that the little nastiness
back between 1861 - 1865 voided the annexation agreements and turned us
into a land now under occupation by the conquering government.  While
this remains unsettled, many of the rights granted continue to be
honored (flag, offshore oil, etc).

For an entertaining insight into all this, find and read a novel titled
"Power Exchange".

Don P.