ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Horizontal tail brace struts

From: Danrihn at aol.com

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 04:21:17 UTC

Message:

  I made several tail brace struts for S-1S's during the 1980s.
I used the smallest 4130 streamline tubing available from Aircraft Spruce.

I used a standard clevis which fit over the lower tail brace attach clevis,
used a longer pin.  For the horizontal attach I used a standard UMPCO clamp
and a 3/16 bolt.  I had to make a small slit in the horizontal fabric but
didn't have to weld or recover the horizontal.

It did a great job of adding stiffness and stability to the horizontal
stabilizer.

They weren't too hard to make but you did have to pay attention to the angle
of the lower clevis to get the geometry right.

Dan Rihn