ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Fw: Important News from IAC Headqua ...

From: "Virginia M. Jacobson" <virginia at odysseypub.com>

Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 01:24:50 UTC

Message:

Hello

Once again I will come out in the arena, I'll probably just get my
ears boxed again but here I go.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I welcome them. However I
think some have totally misunderstood the point I was trying to make.
First off I was only pointing out an observation of the times we are
living in and the current events which are shaping our lives, much
like Dick reminisced about his years in the 1930's and 40's.

I was not trying to encourage sympathy for either the Palestinians or
the Israeli's but merely pointing out what life might be like if you
had to live with the constant threat of terrorism in your own back
yard each and every day the way they have to.  I do not and I will
emphasize DO NOT advocate giving up individual freedom for the sake of
the masses! I was merely trying to point out that sometimes we need to
sacrifice some of our freedoms in order to ensure them for the future.
Our parents, if you are my age any way, had to sacrifice many personal
freedoms during WWII in order to ensure the freedoms we enjoy today.
Our nation was formed by those who chose to pursue individual freedoms
and rights and the people of this nation have fought and died for
those very rights through out the years.

We are no longer separated by vast oceans from those who desire to
destroy our freedom regardless of what ever their motives may be.
Those who wish to destroy the very principles by which this nation was
founded have the ability today to reach every corner of the globe and
reek destruction and terror.  9/11 I believe is only the beginning of
terror in which this nation has yet to experience first hand. It is
all our responsibilities to fight and defeat those who wish to destroy
that which we hold so dear. It is not just our governments role to
protect us but every individuals responsibility. Sometimes in order to
be able to fight effectively we must restrict some of the things we
take for granted temporarily.

I do not believe that any right given up is for ever lost! The freedom
and rights of the individual is the corner stone by which this nation
was founded and is the only principle which all Americans are willing
to die for. After 9/11 every non military aircraft was banished from
the skies. If our nation was formed by those who only wish to control
the masses the skies would of never been reopened for its citizens to
once again enjoy. It is very unfortunate that aviation was used as the
means by which terror struck this nation. However, it remains a fact
that it was effectively use against us. We would be negligent to
ignore this fact and do nothing to try to ensure that it is not used
again.

So far the only thing that has been asked of us is to do something
that 99% of us do anyway. I know of no one who gripes about being
required to have a photo ID for a drivers license and presenting it to
authorities or others as proof of who they are. So why is anyone up in
arms about being able to do the same if asked to while exercising the
privileges of being an airman?

To close I have received some emails from individuals who have not
only been quite rude but who have attacked my character. Everyone has
a right to their opinion whether you agree with it or not and they
have a right to be heard, again a freedom we hold dear. So the next
time I receive such an email I will post it publicly so everyone can
hear what an ass you are. After all it is your right.

Sincerely;

Virginia Jacobson