ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Outside Snap

From: BONDR at aol.com

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 01:47:40 UTC

Message:

OK, back to some acro  :-)

I tried my first outside snap the other day (Pitts S-2B) and I think that I
could use some help.  I started the snaps at about 100 mph from level
inverted flight and my first one was a LEFT rudder snap.  I did accelerate
the snap (just as I do the inside snaps) but the plane recovered at after 1/2
rotation.  All in all, not a bad way to terminate a new maneuver, but I was
shooting for a full snap.  I tried a few more and they all ended up as 1/2
snaps.  So I figured "Lets try it with RIGHT rudder."  Well, it snapped
nicely (like I expected the left rudder to snap) and I watched the world go
around about one and a half times then "All Heck Broke Loose."  I'm not sure
exactly what happened, but further experimentation proved that it was
repeatable!

So the question is "What's going on and what am I doing wrong?"

Thanks in advance,

Rob Bond