ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Aileron Flutter Question

From: Klusmanp at aol.com

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 02:25:36 UTC

Message:

  I've got an old IAC "Technical Tips Manual, Vol II" that has a good article
on flutter (see page 112). The article shows a ground vibration test to
determine flutter characteristics of a "Stephens-Type Monoplane" after a
flutter induced crash/fatality of another of the same type airplane.

The testing revealed that a counterbalance horn at the tip of the aileron
would actually be making the flutter situation worse! The article goes on to
advise a very specific placement of a COMBINATION of counterweights to avoid
the possibility of flutter for these airplanes.

I've been invloved in flutter issues in my work at Cessna. I'm a structures
engineer and I've learned just enough about flutter to know that I don't know
anything about flutter.

Bottom line: Follow the advice of Peter's last paragraph below.

Paul Klusman
Pitts S-1S