ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Aileron Flutter Question

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera at nortelnetworks.com>

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:23:38 UTC

Message:

Presumably, unless the surface is REALLY stiff a mass at the end will
actually make things worse. The carbon fiber ailerons can get away with this
but a fabric/wood thing probably is not stiff enough. I guess the reason for
this is because a non stiff aileron can actually be thought of as two or
more independent ailerons which can move a bit with respect to each other.
Since the mass is associated with only the outer most one, it only really
counterbalances the outer 'aileron'. For that job it is too much mass and
hence the outer 'aileron' is now incorrectly balanced and will flutter ..
bringing the other pieces of aileron with it a few milliseconds behind.
Hence the reason why the mass is best evenly distributed the length of the
aileron.

One really fascinating thing about aileron flutter is that an aileron (as it
deflects up or down) acts much like a trim tab or boost tab on your elevator
or rudder. It induces the thing it is attached to twist the other way with a
huge leverage due to its distance from the spar. This means your entire wing
will rotate about its main spar a little bit each time the aileron goes up
or down. This will eventually break the rear spar and then cause the wing to
depart the aircraft due to the now unrestricted twist up and down induced by
the aileron....unless the hinges let go first.

Peter

.