ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Vertical rolls-to the right in Pitts

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 06:18:43 UTC

Message:

It is more likely that you are pulling up with a bit of right aileron.  If you
are yawed to the right on the vertical, after a 1/4 roll right you will be
decidedly negative and it will "feel" very wrong.  A 1/4 roll left will put
you positive, and even though the margin of error is the same, it will feel
much better.

The key to good vertical rolls is a good vertical to begin with, and it is
useless to practice vertical rolls until you can consistently achieve the
correct vertical attitude.  When you start practicing the rolls, do them VERY
slowly at first.  The slower the roll rate, the easier it is to identify
errors and understand which unwanted control input caused them.

It is also a good idea to be able to look left when rolling right and vice
versa.  When you are first learning to roll straight (after you can achieve a
"dead-nuts on" vertical every time), you will be using the horizon as your
primary reference.  When using horizon-based roll reference points, it is much
easier to pick them up when they come into view from behind you (about 45
degrees before you have to stop the roll), rather than suddenly appearing from
behind the wing, with 10 degrees or less of roll left before you "over-roll"
it.

When you can consistently roll in either direction with the wings not moving
up or down, look back over your shoulder at the ground for your roll reference
(left or right -- it doesn't matter).  It is easy to accurately judge any
multiple of 90 degrees of roll without the need for any specific reference
points (just watch the whole airport rotate), and everything appears to happen
much slower.  This will give you a big advantage when you are flying in
"Maytown VMC"  -- no horizon, estimated vis. 3.1 in haze and bugs.

   put "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:
>	MIME Type:multipart/alternative

	I know its quite amazing, this email list has been talking about
aerobatics related stuff for over a week!

	Anyway, in the 2003 Intermediate Known there is a Hammerhead with
roll up and none down which of course changes your heading by 90 degrees. I
had not actually thought too much about it but I was always doing my
vertical rolls to the left and this little maneuver forces you to go to the
right depending on your position. My problem is that I'm getting some
serious pitch/yaw changes when I roll it to the right on the vertical. I
tried it 4-5 times today with not very good results. I assume I'm somehow
adding elevator as I go around but I'm open to suggestions. Are there some
other effects happening in a right vertical roll I'm not aware of?

	(Damn is a Pitts ever nice to fly in temperatures of about -3C)

	Peter