ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Vertical rolls-to the right in Pitts

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera at nortelnetworks.com>

Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 22:34:11 UTC

Message:

	It is also a good idea to be able to look left when rolling right
and vice
	versa.  When you are first learning to roll straight (after you can
achieve a
	"dead-nuts on" vertical every time), you will be using the horizon
as your
	primary reference.  When using horizon-based roll reference points,
it is much
	easier to pick them up when they come into view from behind you
(about 45
	degrees before you have to stop the roll), rather than suddenly
appearing from
	behind the wing, with 10 degrees or less of roll left before you
"over-roll"
	it.

Now that IS very interesting. Unfortunately I only have one sight gauge. Now
I know why lots of folks have two.

Thanks

Peter

	   put "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera at nortelnetworks.com> wrote:
	>	MIME Type: multipart/alternative

		I know its quite amazing, this email list has been talking
about
	aerobatics related stuff for over a week!

		Anyway, in the 2003 Intermediate Known there is a Hammerhead
with
	roll up and none down which of course changes your heading by 90
degrees. I
	had not actually thought too much about it but I was always doing my
	vertical rolls to the left and this little maneuver forces you to go
to the
	right depending on your position. My problem is that I'm getting
some
	serious pitch/yaw changes when I roll it to the right on the
vertical. I
	tried it 4-5 times today with not very good results. I assume I'm
somehow
	adding elevator as I go around but I'm open to suggestions. Are
there some
	other effects happening in a right vertical roll I'm not aware of?

		(Damn is a Pitts ever nice to fly in temperatures of about
-3C)

		Peter