ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Vertical rolls-to the right in Pitts

From: "Phil Sisson, Litchfield Aerobatic Club" <sisson at mcleodusa.net>

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 01:19:54 UTC

Message:

>             (Damn is a Pitts ever nice to fly in temperatures of
>           about -3C)
>
>                   Peter

I rememeber the 1st winter with mine,1981. I was in a hurry to get the
dog certified and flying (August). Several people were flying it as cool
weather came upon us. I thought it was time to put the canopy on. Just 8
screws held it on. I got out there one nice fall day by myself to
install it. I had it in place with no screws in yet. It just sat there.
I turned my head and it slipped over the other side, onto the right wing
walk area and to the ground. it teetered back and forth a couple times
and just as it came to rest, it broke.................. Too big a piece
to fix.

We flew it all winter that year with no canopy. I think it got about 100
hours put on it through the winter months in 15 minute flights. We wore
Carrharts and all the clothes we could find. The cold didn't bother us.
We had a real airplane to fly..... It was Spring time before I had
recovered enough dough to get a new one from Jim Miller in KC. It fit
perfect..

Phil