ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Vertical rolls-to the right in Pitts

From: DSowder at aol.com

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 05:51:54 UTC

Message:

In a message dated 11/2/2002 10:30:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jwcornwell at usa.net writes:

> The key to good vertical rolls is a good vertical to begin with, and it is
> useless to practice vertical rolls until you can consistently achieve the
> correct vertical attitude.

This is the fundamental truth of vertical rolls. But, at least insofar as my
S-2B is concerned, there are a couple of complications.

Firstly, you can forget all that blather in the Red Book about the Zero Lift
Axis. The "vertical" line has to look vertical to the judges and critiquers,
whether it's vertical or not. Since the B, like all factory Pitts', has 1 1/2
degree incidence in the wings, the chubby little fuselage does not appear
vertical when the wings are at "Zero Lift". I have to fly my verticals a bit
"towards canopy". This means that in a vertical roll to the right, the left
wing will appear to drop for the first half roll. So, if I'm going to roll to
the right, I "fix" the vertical with forward stick just as I start the roll.
Somehow this works out automatically when I roll left, probably a result of
more practice rolling left.

Secondly, no matter what the angle of the "vertical", my B needs a touch of
right rudder in a vertical roll to the right, even after "fixing" the
vertical as noted above. I don't know if they're all like this, but mine sure
is. Have to be careful with this, however, because too much steering with
rudder and/or elevator just kills the plane's energy. In Intermediate, you'll
see only 1/4 vertical rolls. In Advanced, you may encounter a 3/4 in an
unknown. Obviously, 1/2's and 1's need never be flown to the right since they
don't change from x to y axis or vice versa (and there are no unlinked
vertical rolls in Intermediate or Advanced unknowns).

Anyway, vertical rolls to the right deserve a lot of practice, especially the
3/4's. Without recent practice, I've actually managed to get so crossed up
trying to keep the axis straight that I've fallen out of the roll. Bad form
if anyone's watching!

Doug Sowder