ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] wing walk options

From: jeffery at texas.net

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:45:29 UTC

Message:

  Hi all,

It's getting close to re-assembly time for my freshly recovered Pitts S2-B and
I had a question regarding wing walk covering options.  The last time I went
through this, I used a wing walk material from Aircraft Spruce that had a self-
adhesive backing.  I also installed the metal strip on the front edge of the
wing walk that screws to the leading edge/spar cap strip and keeps the material
from peeling back in the propwash.  The problem with this installation is that
down here in Texas with our wonderful, hot summers, the adhesive will soften
when the plane is left out in the sun.  Stepping onto the wing walk with any
side loading will then cause it to walk on the wing.  (I don't think that's
where its supposed to get its name.)  It is also prone to developing bubbles
over time.  What is the best solution to this problem?  You guys in Arizona
must have figured this one out a long time ago.  I know there are wing walk
materials that are glued on with a separate adhesive, such as Pliobond.  Any
recommendations?  Any experiences with a fabric covered airplane using a wing
walk that is painted on (such as the Randolph Products stuff)?

Top dollar paid to the best answer.  All entries must be received by midnight,
14 November, 2002 to be eligible to win.  Offer void where prohibitted by law.
No one under 18 years of age may participate without the consent of an adult
(specifically excluding Mr. Duckwater).  In case of duplicate answers, the
earliest time/date stamp will be selected.  No coupons or other discounts apply
with this offer.  Some assembly may be required.

Thanks in advance for the help-

Jeffery Poehlmann
N53385