ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: sad day, divers, pilots, and why

From: "Robert P. Lockard" <rob at oraclewizard.com>

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:07:56 UTC

Message:

  Actually I don’t think it is that unusual in the technical diving community.  The gentleman (and I use the word loosely) who helped
me when I first started flying was a fellow diver, Dave Sutton.  I don’t think Will sky dived, but he was big in the technical
diving community designing software for decompression and new electronics for Closed Circuit Rebreathers.  Tom Mount, CEO of
International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers is a pilot.  And many more of my friends are either a pilot first or there
were a diver and became a pilot.  I myself have been toying with the idea of learning to sky dive and I have wanted to do it for
quite a few years.

I do believe it takes a different type of person to do these things. The other night I stated to write my universal answer to why.
This was purely for my benefit, but I’ll go ahead and post it.

Later, Dive / Fly / Ride Safe
-Rob

Why?  I have buried too many friends over the years.  Some died in diving accidents, some died in plane crashes and not enough have
died in the arms of a twenty years old girl.  Yesterday I received news of another friend who I will never be able to share a beer
and a laugh with.  His death like so many of them came too soon.  Like me, he had to push his skill level further.

Why do we do this?  All to often the cost is a life.  What is the reward?  Is it the feeling of cheating death?  Or is it something
Will said a long time ago?  “Silence the chattering monkeys.” ( tm ) Smitters.  There is something to be said for having something
that requires focus.  I walk around thinking way too much.  I have a business to run, projects that need my attention and ideas on
doing it better.  So often all this starts to wear me down and there is the need to escape to a place where focus is on situational
awareness. Where I’m are doing something that requires all my thoughts and then there is a relaxing silence.

Do I get up in the morning and say "today I’m going to perform a death defying act?"  No, there is the positive re-enforcement
every time I get ready for a dive or preflight my plane.  There is a switch that goes off in my head.  That is the switch that says
if you fuck up, you are going to be dead, so do it right.  And no matter how hard we prepare there is always something sitting in
the back seat waiting to come out and kill us.  Every one who participates in these hobbies knows it’s there.  The question is how
are you going to deal with it when it happens.  Are you afraid of it?  If so, then I make you this guarantee, when it comes out,
you are dead.  Do you respect it and understand it?  If so there is a very good chance you will survive.  So even though I enjoy
these pursuits, I spend a great deal of time studying it and trying to figure out how will it kill me.

I explain it as making love with a beautiful woman.  Only she is a black widow and has a knife.  Your job is to know where that
knife is at all times and not get too wrapped up in making love.  The moment you do, she will sink that knife in your back.

This still does not answer where the pleasure of these pursuits come from.  I get a lot of pleasure from studying the "what ifs."
Then going out and trying something for the first time.  If I’m smart, I take someone with me who knows what they are doing and
have them show me a few times.  When I was young and dumb, I would go out and try it by myself.  I never got any pleasure from
dodging the bullet, however I did get a lot of pleasure from expanding my skills.

Will bit off more then he could chew and paid the price.  Yet many times we take a quantum leap in our skills pushing them much
further then ever before.  Are we getting a feeling of "now is the time to make that jump?"  What keeps us in check besides "good
old fashion common horse sense?"  A long time ago I started making hard and fast rules.  Never do a dive where you don’t have at
least 1/3 more gas then I need.  Never dive with faulty equipment.  Never fly IFR at night.  Never fly IFR when thunderstorms are
around and never fly VFR at night over water.  Instead of listing all these rules and picking them apart, I think I’m seeing a
pattern.  Each one of these almost bit a friend or me in the six o’clock.  We all chat with each other, the smart ones listen and
don’t repeat the mistake. The others don’t listen and die.  Will was one of the smart ones, what did he not listen to?  Was it his
ego that told him to get the Gazelle?  What was going through his mind when he took off at 11:00PM after a long day of work?  Why
was he flying over the water?

Maybe it boils down to one simple statement, "Stupidity kills, respect keeps you alive."  So if I understand and respect what I do,
then I can continue to expand my skills and stay alive.  If I ever start enjoying "dodging a bullet" then I should hang it up.  It
sounds so simple.