ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: sad day, divers, pilots, and why

From: Planedancer at aol.com

Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 06:18:10 UTC

Message:

  In a message dated 11/13/2002 7:04:34 AM Central Standard Time,
rob at oraclewizard.com writes:

<<   There is something to be said for having something that requires focus.

Bingo!  I think that's it!!!

I've always loved science (but hated math, maybe because females of my
generation were supposed to?).  I've played around with different jobs out of
curiousity and for the experience, but when it came time to go to college for
a profession, again, after some bumping around (and I'm not done yet!), I
chose nursing, because it was "acceptable" for women of my generation as well
as satiating to my scientific interests and curiosity.  I have met more
nurses who are into flying than women in any other profession (except
professional pilots).  One even noticed I drove a stick shift car and mused
"what is it about pilots and driving stick shift cars?".

I have always been adventurous, since I was a 2 yr old (go ahead, ask my
mother!).  I never approached any of this (sky diving, scuba diving, flying)
with any sense of a "death wish" or to "defy death".  It's just another
adventure to experience, and as with any serious adventure, there is
learning, preparation, and follow through.  There are mistakes to be learned
from and mistakes to be made, but I don't see any of this "risk taking"
behavior as that at all, at least not for me.

I'm in it for the personal mental and physical challenge, and very few things
combine both aspects.  I'm not competing with anyone but myself, if I'm
competing at all.  Most of the time, it's simply my "weird" way of relaxing
and enjoying the world around me as best I can.  I only do all this out of a
desire to "experience it all".

Melanie
Rhome (Ft. Worth) TX