ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Certificated to Experimental?

From: "Andrew Boyd" <aboyd at igs.net>

Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 17:47:07 UTC

Message:

Is there anyone who has successfully pushed a 330hp hotrod
overhaul of a parallel-valve 540 through a 337 on a certified aircraft?

My understanding is that for about the same dollars as a factory
engine, you can get 70 extra horsepower.  Hard to ignore a 25%
horsepower increase.

Has anyone installed a Whirlwind propeller on a certified
aircraft with a 337?

--

Tom Adams said:

WHY NOT just stay in Standard category with the use of a Form 337. I can't speak for other  type a/c but I have a Pitts S1-T that is still in Standard and I have made a lot of modifications with the 337. Should work with other types of a/c. I admit, you do have to jump through a BUNCH of hoops for the feds but I have found it worthwhile.