ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Message Timing? (fwd)

From: "Dr. Guenther Eichhorn" <gei at head-cfa.harvard.edu>

Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 14:43:32 UTC

Message:

Hi,

This email list has about 1000 subscribers.  Sending out 1000
email messages takes the computer quite a while.  If another
message is posted while the computer is still sending out an old
one. these messages are possibly intermixed.  The sending is
done by separate processes for each message.  The operating
system of the computer schedules these processes somewhat at
random. Because of that it can happen that one process that
sends out a newer message overtakes one that sends out the older
message.  Another explanation could be that your service
provider handles incoming messages such that it is possible that
the order in which they are received is not the order in which
they are delivered.

Guenther
Dr. Guenther Eichhorn        |  gei at cfa.harvard.edu
ADS Project Scientist        |  Phone: 617-495-7260
http://ads.harvard.edu       |  Fax:   617-496-7577
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
60 Garden Street, MS-83, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA