ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: Lycoming 540 crankshaft bolts

From: "autotech at flash.net" <autotech@flash.net>

Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:42:07 UTC

Message:

  More good news regarding Lyc IO540 bolts.

I was doing research on my bolt this weekend and came across the following:

My rebuilder has an original Superior logo'd parts bag, still heat sealed.
Marked on the outside is "STD-2209", NOT "SL-STD-2209".  Inside is a silver
color bolt that does NOT have "SL" stamped in the head.

There is a Superior Airparts bulletin that says that ALL of the bolts they
have sold are exempt from the AD, and goes on to talk about how their bolts
are gold in color, and have an SL stamped in the head of the bolt.  My
rebuilder spoke with them earlier and they would not admit to having bought
and resold and original Lycoming bolts.

The Lycoming AD (one of them anyway) mentions that the affected bolts are
gold in color, and that Cad plating results in a silver color.  The
Superior service note remarks that color is not correctly indicative of the
type of plating, and a later Lycoming bulletin admits this.

Soooo.  Having a bolt from Superior or may not mean that it is a safe bolt,
but it might be that it is a legal bolt if the sales invoice shows
"SL-STD-2209" as the part number.

Oh what to do...

I think I know...

Don