ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Winter flying & oil temperatures in AE ...

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera at nortelnetworks.com>

Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 03:34:49 UTC

Message:

Well since its now real winter and I don't have anything else to worry about
with the Pitts (knock on wood) so I've started fixating on my oil
temperature gauge during acro.

Am seeing about 170F which seems a trifle cool to me. Would prefer 200-215
to burn off water. This is after 30 minutes of full power acro in about -5C
air.

Is anybody running with any kind of cooling air inlet/outlet restrictor? Or
am I the only one crazy enough to do acro below freezing besides our sturdy
Russian friends with those beautiful Iris equipped MP14's.

Merry X-mas all.

Peter

P.S.  if anybody is bored and wants a good read, I recommend "Missing Man"
by Michael Cassutt.