ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Extra 300L allowed in international ...

From: "Allyson Parker-Lauck" <princess70 at earthlink.net>

Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:56:34 UTC

Message:

MessageIn response to Michael Golan's comments:

  Michael Golan wrote:

  <snip>

  4. Everyone should keep in mind that the unknown figures in AWAC are
  drawn by the teams, each setting up to screw the other team with a really
  "interesting" figure... with 45K allowed in the final unknown, the higher
  performance aircrafts are likely to bring forward even more figures that
  are impossible to score well with a biplane or lower-power monoplane.
  That's just the nature of things to come...

  --Michael

Bill Stein (Edge), Julia Wood (SU 26), me (Panzl), Lynn Heffley (SU 26), Jeff Mawhinney (Panzl), and Herman Dierks (SU 26) all had by far the highest performing airplanes at this year's Nationals (all very capable of flying very well in Unlimited).  We came  in 5th, 10th, 11th, 15th, 18th, and 25th respectively.

The top three finishers flew a Pitts S1S, G202, and Pitts S1T.  The best pilots won, period.  And they were flying classically legal AWAC airplanes.

In Advanced, there is a limit to the vertical rolls, and you aren't allowed do anything that goes up after a snap on a 45 up.  The only difference that the 45K limit in the final Unknown is going to make is that the figures will be more complex.  Look at previous AWAC Unknown routines.  They aren't power hogs, they simply have complex figures that requires the pilot to think.  The pilot who can continue to think while flying the maneuvers well will win.

I've been following the WAC and AWAC competitions for the last 10 or 15 years.  By solely looking at the results, there seems to be one factor besides being the best pilot that will give you an advantage, and that is to fly an airplane that is familiar to the judges.

Let's get off the cost issue... A new S-2C or Extra 200 cost more than my airplane, but they don't even compare in performance.  Nobody's arguing that the S-2C and Extra 200 are too expensive for AWAC.  Hell, look at Robert Armstrong.  I remember a few years ago when his Cap 231 was on the market.  If I remember correctly, it was advertised for well under 100K.  But he has taken that plane and modified it and he flies the hell out of it, beating the pants off of pilots who spent two to three times as much for their airplanes.

Lastly, at Nationals this year, even if I hadn't zeroed a figure, took an interruption, and accumulated a few outs, I still wouldn't have beaten Jeff Bourboon.  He kicked all of our asses in an inexpensive airplane because he flew better.  Period.  I hope he does the same thing at the AWAC.

Take care,
Allyson