ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Oil pressure problem

Message: Oil pressure problem

From: "Dr. Guenther Eichhorn" <gei at head-cfa.harvard.edu>

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 1995 17:05:15 UTC

Message:

Hi,

I have a problem that has my mechanic, Mattituck and Aviat
baffled so far.  Maybe somebody on this list can help me:

When my engine is at operating temperature, the oil pressure
drops to below 50 psi.  It is not adjustable anymore with the
oil pressure adjustment screw.

The engine shows plenty of oil pressure when it is configured
for regular oil circulation.  When I configure it for the
inverted oil system, but do not use the Christen valve,
instead connect the sump directly to the suction port to the
pump, the oil pressure is lower than in the regular
configuration, but satisfactory (~70psi and still adjustable).

What have I done so far:
1. Complete engine teardown and repair at Mattituck.
2. Checked all the gauges.
3. Replace the hoses to and from the Christen valve.
4. Replace the balls, etc in the Christen valve.

Has anybody had a similar problem?  Does anybody know what it
could be or what I could do to find out what the problem is.
We have tracked it down to a few parts (the inverted system),
but we have no clue what causes the problem.

Guenther
| Guenther Eichhorn            |         `\   /'          |
| CPL,ASMEL,ASES,IA,Glider,CFI |      ------^------       |
| DC-3 type rating             |       |   |O|   |        |
| AOPA, EAA, IAC, SSA          |      ------v------       |
| Pitts S-2A: N1GE             |            |             |
| gei at cfa.harvard.edu          |*** Flying is the Pitts **|
| See also: http://acro.aerobaticsweb.org/iac_homepg.html   |