ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Windoze Breadth

Message: Windoze Breadth

From: bwana at mred.hti.com (Bob Buckley)

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 1995 20:29:52 UTC

Message:

Hello all!

Over the past year or so I've been looking into improving the scoring
process. I've developed a few prototypes including a Dbase compatible
scoring system with automated handheld data entry units. I've looked
into other data entry units which are generally way, way too cost
prohibitive for chapter ownership. A few too expensive even at the
national level. I've stumbled across several new data entry units that
unfortunately are only targeted towards the Windoze market. In lieu of
obtaining DOS compatible libraries and developing my own DOS drivers
(which may not be avoidable anyways) I'd like to find out the level of
chapters scoring system computers. Hence, I have a few minimal general
questions that I'd like to throw out to this collection of IAC email geeks:

1. Concerning scoring, are most chapters Windoze compatible at this time
or is DOS still the most common denominator? Meaning, do they either have
Windoze installed on the scoring machine or access to a machine with it?

2. What's the desirablility for a Windoze Interface for computer scoring
and/or contest management compared to a conventional Dbase interface
compared to the current system?

3. Can anyone tell me the MIS capabilities at the National Office?
(i.e., what hardware and software do they have?).

This is just a preliminary inquiry and depending upon the reponses I get
I may go ahead and inquire to each Chapter directly.

Thanks.

'Bwana' Bob Buckley                                    Hughes Training, Inc.
Principal Software Engineer                           Building A30, M.S. 142
Visual Systems                                                 P.O. Box 6171
(817) 695-2530                                          Arlington, TX  76005
bwana at mred.hti.com                                            (817) 695-2000