ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Bail outs

Message: Bail outs

From: stephan at lac.inpe.br (Stephan Stephany)

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 22:01:56 UTC

Message:

This thread about accidents and possible bail outs
reminded me an article I saw in this list some
months ago. Maybe it would be interesting to read
it again. Here it goes.

Stephan

This aritcle was posted last year.
R. Bruce Johnson

WHILE IT IS STILL WINTER AND MOST OF US ARE STILL GROUNDED, I WOULD LIKE TO
DISCUSS THE LAST RESORT OF GETTING ON THE GROUND; " THE NYLON LANDING TO A FULL
STOP".  LET ME FIRST WARN YOU THAT IN DISCUSSING THIS SUBJECT I AM VERY BLUNT!
MY SECONDARY JOB IN THE OHIO AIR NATIONAL GUARD IS TO TEACH LIFE SUPPORT
(PARACHUTES AND EJECTION) TO F-16 PILOTS.  MY FIRST JOB IS TO FLY THEM ,SO ALL
OF WHAT I AM ABOUT  TO WRITE HAS BEEN WELL THOUGHT OUT. THE DECISION TO ABANDON
THE AIRCRAFT IS HARD.  THERE ARE MANY VARIABLES THAT ONE MUST WAY IN ORDER TO
MAKE THE DECISION CORRECTLY. YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULD NOT BE THAT DIFFICULT,
AFTER ALL IT ONLY HAS TWO PATHS, YES OR NO.  BESIDES WHY WOULDN'T THE PILOT
JUMP, HE'S GOING TO DIE ISN'T HE!  IF THIS IS WHERE YOUR MIND SET IS, AND YOU
ARE FACED WITH A DISABLED AIRCRAFT YOU WONT MAKE IT. YOU WILL DIE ALONG WITH
YOUR DYEING AIRCRAFT!  PREDETERMINED MIND SET IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT
ASPECT TO TO THE BAILOUT DECISION.  A PILOT WITH OUT THIS MIND SET WILL GET
BOGGED DOWN WHEN THE VERY TOUGH DECISIONS  THAT HAVE TO BE MADE. THE MANY
VARIABLES HE FACES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO; I CAN'T LOOSE MY PLANE, THIS
CAN'T BE HAPPENING TO ME, "I CAN RECOVER IN JUST A LITTLE MORE TIME, AND THE
WORST, "THE DEAD RABBIT SYNDROME" ( WHEN ONE JUST GIVES UP ALL HOPE AND ACCEPTS
ONES IMPENDING DEATH).  OF COURSE THESE ARE THE LAST THINGS YOU WOULD WANT TO
THINK ABOUT IN A CRITICAL TIME.  AS WITH MY LAST ARTICLE THIS IS WHERE TEMPORAL
DISTORTION SETS IN.  THE PILOT CAN NOT ALLOW ANY THOUGHT BUT THOSE THAT ARE
NEEDED TO GET OUT OR STAY.  NOW TO THE MEAT.

THE DECISION TO JUMP IS MADE ON THE GROUND BEFORE YOU EVER FLY.  CRITERIA MUST
BE DECIDED UPON FOR A MULTITUDE OF CONTINGENCIES, AND THEN "CHAIR FLOWN" IN THE
PILOTS MIND OVER AND OVER WITH EVERY POSSIBLE VARIATION.  A SIMPLE EXAMPLE WOULD
BE:  IF I AM IN AN INVERTED   FLAT SPIN AND I HAVE NOT RECOVERED BY 2500 FT.
THEN I WILL JUMP, PERIOD DOT!!!  WHEN THAT TRIP WIRE ARRIVES THERE IS NO
QUESTION, NO "WELL JUST A LITTLE LONGER" , JUST DO IT.  YOU HAVE TO DESIGN THESE
CRITERION  YOURSELF FOR WHAT IS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU.  BUT DO SIT DOWN AND MAKE
THESE WHAT IFS AND THEN REHEARSE THEM IN YOUR MIND, OFTEN.  THE NEXT AREA OF
TRAINING FOR YOU IS THE EGRESS PORTION.  WHAT IS THE FASTEST AND CLEANEST WAY OF
GETTING OUT AND CLEAR OF THE AIRCRAFT.
WITH MY PITTS I HAD 2 BELTS AND A COMMA CORD. YOU MIGHT ALSO HAVE A CANOPY, SO
ALL ITEMS THAT MUST BE DISCONNECTED OR OPENED MUST BE ADDRESSED.  MAKE A MENTAL
CHECK LIST, BY PUTTING THESE ITEMS IN A LOGICAL ORDER OF ACCOMPLISHMENT, THEN
EVERY TIME YOU SHUT DOWN PRACTICE YOUR EGRESS CHECKLIST.  AFTER EGRESSING THE
AIRCRAFT IS CLEARING AND PULLING THE RIP CORD (OR D RING).  THERE ARE MANY
METHODS OF DOING THIS.  I CHOOSE THAT IF I WERE UP RIGHT I WOULD SQUAT ON THE
SEAT  AND SPRING UP AND AWAY FROM THE AIRCRAFT.  IF I WERE UP SIDE DOWN I WOULD
DIVE OVER THE SIDE AWAY FROM THE YAW OF THE SPIN. THE ONLY REASON THE AIRCRAFT
SHOULD BE INVERTED IS BECAUSE OF AN UNRECOVERABLE INVERTED SPIN OR STRUCTURAL
FAILURE. NOW TO BECOME A SKYDIVER.  THIS IS A HOLE ARTICLE IN ITSELF.  BUT IN
SHORT : PULL THE D RING, AFTER OPENING SHOCK PULL THE STEERING CORDS ON THE BACK
OF THE REAR RISERS TO STEER IN TO THE WIND,  WHEN YOU ARE ABOUT TO TOUCH-DOWN
PUT LEGS TOGETHER, AT IMPACT ROLL SIDEWAYS TO ABSORB THE SHOCK WITH YOUR SIDE
(FIRST KNEES HIP SHOULDER ). NEXT PULL ON ONE RISER AND ITS CORDS TO DEFLATE THE
CHUTE.

THIS IS A QUICK AND DIRTY LOOK AT THE "NYLON LANDING TO A FULL STOP".
LET ME REFRESH A FEW POINTS 1. MAKE THOSE POINTS, THAT IF SURPASSED
YOU WILL JUMP.  2. MENTALLY "CHAIR FLY" ALL POSSIBLE CONTINGENCIES.
3. PRACTICE THE EGRESS EVERY TIME YOU SHUTDOWN. LASTLY DON'T EVER FORGET THAT AS
MUCH AS YOU LOVE YOUR AIRCRAFT IF IT IS GOING TO DIE, IT WANTS YOU TO GO TO ITS
GRAVE TOGETHER!  DON'T ...     STEP OUT AND FLY AGAIN .