ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Bail Out!

Message: Bail Out!

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Max_Braud=E9?= <skybird at iafrica.com>

Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 22:53:19 UTC

Message:

In the very early days of my skydiving career, the odd glider pilot would come out to our dropzone and ask one of us to pack his chute.

Fair enough, but the condition of some of those canopies in the early 70's was atrocious to say the least.  We even found a couple of WWII silks in their collection.  There were arguments when we confiscated u.s. canopies and the attitude was; "We aren't about to use them anyway."

Some logic.  A parachute is the answer to the question :What is it, that if you don't have it when you need it, you will never need it again?"

Granted, there are not that many occasions when they are needed or the pilot is able to use it.

We had a glider mid-air last year here and there is a pilot who has lived to fly again because of a parachute.  Nuff sed!

Every skydiver goes over emergency drill regularly, because an emergency situation could arise at any time.  I have had to leave so-called "perfectly good aircraft" on no less than 3 occasions while the hapless pilot without a chute had to make a deadstick landing.  At least I knew what to do and could take a calm decision especially on one very low occasion far from an airfield.

Anyone who straps a rig on his/her back for a deliberate exit has to undergo training.  In these cases the exit is planned and is executed with a degree of calmness (various).  In the gliding and aerobatic world this situation is reversed.  The pilot puts on a rig, often in a jocular fashion without due realisation that the rig may well be required and when it is required the stress levels, not to mention the G levels, are extreme.

How do you then complete an exit and a successful deployment with the training of "jump, clear, pull, pray."?

Forget it!

A first jump course, at least should be mandatory for everyone who puts a chute on for advanced flying.  Good grief, your life could well depend on it.  Also it is relatively safe compared statistically to many other sports.

The orientation achieved is yours for life and that same life could well be prolonged by the proper respect for your chute and the opportunity that it could give you!

Blue skies

Max Braude
Johannesburg
skybird at iafrica.com