ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] bail out

From: Fred Fraim <fraim at blazenet.net>

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 03:55:36 UTC

Message:

  thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Back in the early 80's I began taking jump lessons. Static line jumps,
hop & pops, 5,10,15 second delays. I screwed up big time on my last
jump. Suddenly that big vise of sheer terror clamped down & instead of
getting stable & counting off one thousand one, one thousand two, etc.,
I froze & curled into a fetal position and tumbled. My mind was blank.
After about 20 or 30 seconds I realized that I HAD to pull the ripcord,
so I did what I had been taught, Look, Reach, Pull. I was still
tumbling, hadn't stabilized, but I pulled & the canopy (round T-10)
opened. That was my last jump, but I KNOW I can do it again if & when I
need to.

One other thing, don't attempt a walk-away landing, that's just for the
square chutes. An emergency chute demands a PLF, parachute landing fall.
Try to face into the wind if possible to slow your ground speed and
basically fall and roll, don't lock your knees, let all of your body
absorb the impact. If you try to absorb the impact with only your legs
you will possible break an ankle or leg or hit feet first followed
quickly by a bruising jolt to your rear end or face.

You might also do some reading on landings in water or trees. There are
procedures that will help you to survive to fly again.

Each time I fly, I repeat the mantra, Look, Reach, Pull.I also drill it
into any passengers I take for an acro ride.

Fred Fraim