ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] bail out

Message: RE: [IAC] bail out

From: "Max Braude" <skybird at corplink.com.au>

Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 05:54:47 UTC

Message:

Thats the way.  Presence of mind is sooo important.

Knowing what to do is relevant but totally valueless if not applied or the
mind has switched off.  Your incident illustrates why jumpers are taught to
count, not only does this establish the time frame as time is rather limited
in freefall, but keeps the mind from blanking as can happen even to someone
with experience.

My instructor before my first freefall said "You are dead!"  I thought for
f! at #$%s sake that's not nice to wish me that.  He said, "No its true, unless
you pull the ripcord.  For the first time in your life you are going to
actively perform a task to stay alive."

I tell you that set me off - I pulled so fast I could almost have given the
ripcord to the pilot as I left......    ;-)))

Like has been said - one jump is not enough, but it is better than nothing.

For example the previous writer who talks about a 2 handed grab.  To the
uninitiated that seems feasible, but it can result in an arse over
tea-kettle tumble if the arms are in too long.

Could be very frightening indeed - more than getting out the plane.

You can not be overtrained in emergency situations.

Blue Skies
Max Braudé
skybird at corplink.com.au
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10290684