ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE:Emergency Bailout

From: jerry scott <jerryscott at earthlink.net>

Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 18:26:33 UTC

Message:

I have made 350 round canopy jumps in all kinds of wind conditions, even
down-wind 30 knot landings in accuracy contests.  It's not that
dangerous if your PLF (parachute landing form) is correct.
But, if you have to have a square rig for aerobatics, I'm sure that Ted
Strong would make one for you. See this web site:
http://www.strongparachutes.com.  For years he had made aerobatic and
skydiving rigs, and will pack a square into any container.

You certainly would not want to open at 200 mph, but it only takes a few
seconds of free fall to get down to 120 mph in the flared position.
Your rig would probably take the 200 mph opening, but your body would be
about 2 inches shorter afterwards.

Jerry Scott
Acro student, former skydiver