ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Category/Class

Message: Re: Category/Class

From: DSowder at aol.com

Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 05:12:27 UTC

Message:

  Rick,
Many contests have trouble just fielding three competitors to make up a
class. Breaking the classes into sub-classes based on aircraft type would
sure complicate the issue (not to mention judging and score keeping). I think
Jimmy Carter was right. "Life is unfair." My Pitts (worth less than $30K) is
fully capable of any conceivable Intermediate sequence, and Advanced as well.
I feel that if I fly well, I'll win. But, I will admit that the Extras and
Sukhois, et. al., certainly look good in the box, and they may carry an aura
of accomplishment with them. I have the distinct feeling that I'll know more
about this in about 3 weeks. I believe that the differences in aircraft are
just things that we'll have to live with. If we want to move up to higher
categories of competition, more expensive hardware is just part of the price
that must be paid. But note that my Pitts is worth about 1/3 of a new Super
Decathlon. So it's not necessarily all a question of money. In fact, a
pristine 100 HP clip-wing Cub would cost about the same as my Pitts, and is
no competition in performance. So where does that leave us?
Doug Sowder