ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: LAAC Gold Cup Results (fwd)

Message: Re: LAAC Gold Cup Results (fwd)

From: Atcsandra at aol.com

Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 07:19:48 UTC

>If you ask me, as a regional judge, that was stupid.  I hope that that kind
>of attitude does not exist commonly within your chapter.  This year
>especially, the terrible problems with safety, and you congratulate that
>kind of action.

The Army Corps of Engineers (ACE) was doing a standard environmental study to
make sure the base was safe for public use. The decision to continue the
contest with the judges line staying in position was made after consultation
with the airport management and the ACE personnel. The airport was reopened
as a public airport in October 1994. The survey flags which one ACE surveyor
tried to imply indicated live ordnance were in fact grid markers to enable
the ACE to check off squares which had already been checked. There was no
danger to any contest participant. Had there been any possible hazard, the
judging line would have been moved.

Sandra Bullock