Acro Image

Aerobatics Server

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Hard Zero's versus accumulative zero's

[International Aerobatic Club] [Communications] [Aerobatics Images]

Disclaimer: These aerobatics pages are developed by individual IAC members and do not represent official IAC policy or opinion.

[Usage Statistics]

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Hard Zero's versus accumulative zero's

Thread: Hard Zero's versus accumulative zero's

Follow-Up To: ACRO Email list (for List Members only)

Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 02:58:11 UTC

I've just become a scoring judge this season, I have noticed the problem outlined by Guenther many times while working as an Assistant Judge.  I had one accumulative zero I awarded raised to the average just this past week.  I think it would be reasonable to differentiate between 'hard' zero's and accumulative zero's.   Guenther's example shows how the current system can skew scores.  This particular problem could be fixed by changing the rules to only require a majority for 'hard' zero's (i.e. wrong maneuver, wrong direction etc.) and to let accumulative zero's stand.  

I think the intent of the current majority rule was to limit the potential for a Judge to mistakenly damage the standing of a competitor (believing they saw 5 points instead of 4 or an inside snap instead of outside, etc.).  The correction will be valid if the assumption that a majority of the Judges would have to see the error if it is there.  Whether this works or not has no bearing on whether accumulative zero's should also require a majority.

I'd like to see the rule changed so that only 'hard' zero's require a majority.

© Dr. Günther Eichhorn
Retired
Email Guenther Eichhorn