ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: Len Perry

Message: Len Perry

From: chairman at aerobatics.org.uk

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:57:50 UTC

Message:

  Len Perry

It is still very hard to believe that one of our most experienced and
careful pilots is no longer with us to enjoy his flying - and to play
his part in this good life.  It would be naive not to recognise that
the pursuit of aerobatics is inseparable from some danger, but we know
so well how amongst aviators the world over our sport can inspire a
passion that is just hard to resist.  This year has sadly reminded us
all how impersonal is the hand of fate.

In the pursuit of excellence during his preparations for this year's
World Aerobatic Championships Len trained long and hard with many
masters, and his recent fatal accident in a Sukhoi-31 whilst being
coached by Nicolai Nikityuk in Russia is a sad loss to us all.  Few
people manage to climb the aerobatic ladder to within sight of the
top, fewer still with a countenance so pleasant and open that it can
even raise the standard of our own efforts in this obsessive and
individualistic sport.  Len's cheerful and quirky approach to
aerobatics and the rest of life was a gem and could all too simply
divert attention from the seriousness of his ambition, but behind all
that lived and worked an unusually talented man of considerable
ability and surprisingly decisive character.

The other members of the British Team - Diana Britten, Louisa Knapp,
Nick Onn, Alan Cassidy, Steve Jones and Tom Cassells - are of course
training hard to be at their best at WAC in Oklahoma this August.
I know that they will try to put this sad memory to one side for a
while, but it will not be far away.

I will remember Len for many things.  Many of you will have more cause
than I to shed a tear.  On behalf of the officers and members of the
British Aerobatic Association I offer our deepest condolences to his
family and to his many friends and colleagues all round the world.
Tributes, including those, thus far received will be forwarded to
his close friends and family.

A  Funeral service will take place,  Friday 26th July, 5.00pm at
Ewelme Church in the Village of Ewelme, Oxfordshire, England .

Nick Buckenham

Chairman
British Aerobatic Association